It’s been a few years since BlackBerry misplaced its glory out there. Since then, the corporate has modified fingers however not a lot appears to be altering. In February of this 12 months, BlackBerry Cellular formally tweeted that from August 31, 2020, TCL Communications, which has obtained model authorization, will not promote BlackBerry-branded cellular gadgets. Thus far, TCL has nothing to do with BlackBerry.
Following the settlement between Onward Mobility and FIH Fuzhikang, the start-up model Onward Mobility will turn into the fourth-generation licensee of the BlackBerry model. Presently, there may be an official announcement that “BlackBerry” will launch a model new 5G smartphone in 2021. In line with the report, the BlackBerry 5G phone won’t solely assist 5G, it can additionally retain its iconic bodily buttons.
As of now, Onward Mobility has solely confirmed one mannequin. As for whether or not it can proceed to launch different “BlackBerry” fashions, it’s unclear. A lot has occurred for the reason that institution of BlacBerry.
Some important adjustments for the reason that begin of BlackBerry
- In 1984, Canadian RIM (Analysis In Movement) Firm was established;
- In 1999, the BlackBerry cellular phone was based, and gained the favor of the American upper-class folks by way of the 9/11 incident;
- In 2008, the primary BlackBerry smartphone hit the market;
- On January 30, 2013 – firm’s title adjustments from “RIM” to “BlackBerry”;
- In September 2013, the variety of BlackBerry customers in america hit its peak, with roughly 85 million customers;
- In September 2016, TCL acquired the rights to the BlackBerry model and launched 4 gadgets. It additionally licensed BB Merah Putih in Indonesia and Optiemus Infracom in India to make use of its manufacturers in some areas;
- On February 4, 2020 – discontinuation of BlackBerry telephones
- On August 19, 2020 – Onward Mobility has authorization to “BlackBerry”
In line with Onward Mobility, these new telephones will likely be “extremely safe”. The corporate additionally claims that it’s going to supply a “suite of end-to-end safety options”. However, the producer didn’t elucidate on the security measures and options.
For the startup which at the moment has the rights to BlackBerry, it can work intently with Foxconn subsidiary FIH Cellular. The latter will assist in the design and manufacturing strategy of the upcoming smartphone. Sadly, we have no idea anything in regards to the upcoming smartphone. There are some stories that Onward Mobility will launch multiple BlackBerry phone, that is almost certainly anyway.
In all, Onward Mobility is fairly younger thus there are some considerations about its potential to revive a lifeless BlackBerry.